In this commitment, references to Application Services are referring to the whole suite of software that Kuali provides on a “software as a service” basis: Kuali Financials; Kuali Research; Kuali Curriculum and Catalog Management; Kuali Build, and Kuali Ready (Continuity Planning). Other terms used in this commitment are defined in the Definitions section at the end of this document.
We will update this commitment from time to time as things change and will notify customers any time we do. You can always find the latest version of this commitment on the Kuali Support Page (http://kuali.co/support).
All Kuali documentation and support is provided in English.
For the purpose of this commitment, the terms below have the following meanings:
"Designated Representative" means designated customer administrators and support representatives.
"Disaster" means an event that causes disruption of operational capabilities that renders Your production Application Services unusable for a 24 hour period.
"End User" means any of your faculty members, students, staff, employees or agents whom you have authorized to access and use the Application Service.
"Feature Request" means a request to incorporate a new feature or enhance an existing feature of the Application Service that is currently not available.
"Impact" means the classification or priority of your Support Request which is used to establish target response times and how the issue is managed.
“Monthly Uptime” means the total number of minutes in a calendar month minus the number of minutes of Scheduled Downtime, minus the number of minutes of Unscheduled Downtime in a calendar month, divided by the total number of minutes in a calendar month.
“Scheduled Downtime” means periods of time Application Services will be unavailable to You for routine maintenance.
"Support Request" means a request from you to us for support to resolve a question or problem regarding the Application Service.
"Support Service" means our normal provision of advice, direction, and support via telephone and email regarding the Application Service, which we will provide in English.
“Unscheduled Downtime” means any period during which the Application Services are unavailable to you other than Scheduled Downtime.
Use of Kuali Support Services
We will make all reasonable professional efforts to:
- Provide support services as described in this commitment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Respond to customer support requests within the target response times.
- Keep application services up to date.
- Provide current and relevant online self-help tools for end users and administrators.
You are responsible for:
- End users’ compliance with the terms of service, the Kuali Master Subscription Agreement and any other applicable or appropriate agreements.
- Use reasonable efforts to fix errors, configuration problems, malfunctions, or network connectivity issues without escalation to us.
- Work collaboratively with Kuali support staff to resolve support requests by providing timely responses to inquiries from our support staff.
Note that despite our best efforts, we may not be able to provide answers to, or resolve, all support requests.
Services Not Provided as part of our Support Services
Some services are not provided as part of our support services and may require a separate work order. Examples include:
- Direct support to customer end users.
- Data migration issues.
- Requests for integration with 3rd party capabilities & services.
- Usage of the application services not consistent with the intended functionality of the application.
- Assistance understanding data relationships as presented in the database schema documentation in order to write or format queries.
- Non-supported 3rd party tools used with application services.
- Issues arising with products hosted by a third party unless optional support is identified in the Kuali Master Subscription Agreement.
- Issues known by us not to be related to the application service itself.
- Any data or file restoration that requires accessing backup databases or file systems will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Customer’s Designated Representatives
You may designate up to 3 individuals per Product Family (Research, Curriculum and Catalog Management, Financials, Ready, Build) for the purposes of initiating support requests, and you may designate substitutes as needed. These designated representatives should be staff members who have been trained as application service administrators. Designated representatives will have the ability to initiate support requests as described in this commitment.
Designated representatives may contact us with a support request 24x7x365 using our Customer Support Portal. Please see the Support Request Impact and Urgency section below for further detail.
Support Request Impact and Urgency
You will designate the impact level for each support request. Upon receiving a support request from your designated representative, we will begin evaluating the request and will respond within the target response time for the designated impact level. If we have any questions about the impact level assigned to your support request, we will work with you to come to an understanding with the appropriate designation.
Initial Response Time
The service is unusable OR the majority of end users cannot access the service, OR a portion of the service is unusable causing severe and lasting business impact.
Within 30 minutes of request submission.
The service is materially impaired but is still functional.
Within 4 hours between 7AM and 7 PM Mon-Fri US Mountain Time, excluding Federal holidays.
The service is partially impaired, but workarounds are in place OR the service is functionally usable, but information, assistance or a new product feature is requested.
As soon as possible between 7 AM and 7 PM Mon-Fri US Mountain Time, excluding Federal holidays.
Our approach to resolution depends on the designated Impact of a request. We will use every professionally reasonable means to resolve support requests as quickly as possible.
End User Support
We provide support for customer end users only through self-help mechanisms such as our online knowledge bases and/or community forums which are available on our Customer Support Portal. Use of Kuali’s support portal for help ticket submission is limited to your designated representatives. You are responsible for responding to any questions and requests by end users or other third parties relating to end users’ use of the application services, with such support to be provided by your personnel at your expense.
Backups and Business Continuity
For details, refer to our Kuali Security, Engineering, and Operations documentation (can be provided upon request).
Default Maintenance Windows
In most cases, maintenance has limited or no negative impact on the availability and functionality of the application services. Unless otherwise arranged, these are our standard maintenance windows for customer Production and Sandbox (SBX) environments:
Ready, Build, Curriculum and Catalog Management, Research COI and Research Protocols:
Once tested and functional Kuali Ready, Build, Curriculum and Catalog Management, Research COI, and Research Protocols use a continuous change delivery model where changes are deployed through staging to production. Continuous changes are those where stable automated testing and deployment processes manage the commits, including critical platform updates as well as configuration and code deployments.
Research Sponsored Programs:
For Research Sponsored Programs, the delivery of changes are staged for deployment at the following times:
- 5:00 PM (1700) US/Mountain Daily - Changes are committed to Staging environments.
- 8:00 PM (2000) US/Mountain Daily - The same changes validated in Staging are committed to Production environments.
For Financials, the delivery of changes are staged for deployment at the following times:
- 5:00 PM (1700) US/Mountain Thursday - Changes are committed to Staging environments.
- 8:00 PM (2000) US/Mountain Thursday - The same changes validated in Staging are committed to Production environments.
Standard Change Window
We also have a Standard Change window which is reserved for updates that cannot fit the Continuous Change cycle. This is a standing maintenance window each month:
- Production: 3rd Sunday, 5:00 AM (0500) to 9:00 AM (0900) US/Mountain.
- Non-Production: Thursday before the Production window, 12:00 PM (1200) to 5:00 PM (1700) US/Mountain (stage, demo, and sandboxes)
- Development: Wednesday before the Production window, 12:00 PM (1200) to 5:00 PM (1700) US/Mountain (test, and other product development)
Any outage that happens within these defined windows is not considered a service outage.
We may perform unscheduled emergency maintenance at any time. If we expect unscheduled emergency maintenance to negatively affect the availability or functionality of the Application Services, we will use professionally reasonable efforts to provide advance notice.
Your designated representatives may request a new or enhanced product feature by submitting a support request through our Customer Support Portal. If we deem a support request to be a feature request, we will proceed as follows:
- We will work with the customer to understand the business needs behind the request.
- We will partner with the customer to explore existing options in the software that might accommodate the business needs.
- If we decide to proceed with the Feature Request, we will consult other customers to ensure that the solution we provide considers all institutional profiles and best practices.
- We will then prioritize the Feature Request based on your needs, Kuali’s findings on applicability to other customers, and other prioritized work in the development queue.
If you require that a Feature Request be resolved on a different schedule than overall priorities dictate, please know that there may be a charge for development.
Saas Service Level Agreement (SLA)
This SaaS Service Level Agreement (“SLA”) is incorporated by reference into the Master Subscription agreement. This Agreement was last updated on March 17, 2020. It is effective between You and Us as of the date of Your accepting this Agreement.
Service Availability Commitment. Subject to your performance under the Agreement, including without limitation the timely payment of Fees, we will use our commercially reasonable efforts to make Application Services available for use by you and End Users at least ninety-nine and nine-tenths percent (99.9%) of the time in any calendar month, exclusive of Scheduled Downtime. In any month where Application Services are not available for use by you and your End Users as provided above, you will be eligible to receive a reduction in price of the otherwise applicable Fees for Services for the immediately following month (“Service Credits”) as provided in this SLA.
Your Data. You own your data. We just make it easy for you to collect, use, and share with individuals you designate. More information on requesting copies of your data can be found in your contract.
Standard Data Protection and Archive Retention. We will: (i) mirror your production data, no less than once a day, to a cloud storage service that is geographically remote from our primary data center; and (ii) upon the occurrence of a Disaster, use reasonable business effort to provide a production operating environment for your application as soon as possible.
Optional Service Level Additions
If we have agreed to provide “Optional Service Level Additions” pursuant to the corresponding Proposal, then subject to your performance under the Agreement, including without limitation the timely payment of Fees, we will: (i) provide the “Standard Data Protection and Archive Retention” services described above; and also (ii) provide the following optional Services as described in the corresponding Proposal.
Business Continuity Protection. We will: (i) mirror your application and corresponding data, no less frequently than one (1) time each day, to a cloud storage service that is geographically remote from our primary data center; and (ii) upon the occurrence of a Disaster, provide a production operating environment for your application within twenty-four (24) hours after the disaster event.
Advanced Archive Retention. We will archive your data, one (1) time each week within a fifty-two (52) week window, to a cloud storage service that is geographically remote from our primary data center. The advanced archive retention service includes one data restore from the archived data, to a temporary application environment. Additional restoration services require a separate services agreement.
Service Credits. In order to receive Service Credits, you must notify us within thirty (30) days from the time you become eligible to receive a Service Credit. Failure to comply with this requirement will forfeit your right to receive a Service Credit.
Maximum Service Credits. The aggregate maximum number of Service Credits to be issued by us to you for all Unscheduled Downtime that occurs in a single calendar month will not exceed fifteen days (15) days of Service to be credited against Fees otherwise due during the immediately following month. Service Credits may not be exchanged for, or converted to, monetary amounts.